If you have information, stories, photographs, etc., to share about anyone in Jim Howard's family, please contact me - howardka at earthlink.net. If you use anything from this blog, please contact me for permission to post/use elsewhere. I don't mind sharing but would like credit for these original posts and for the family photos.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Great Find

When I was in Orlando for my son's wedding, I was able to scan some family photos and documents my sister-in-law, Ginny, had gathered together for me.  There was a wonderful treasure in the bag . . . a post card from James T. Parker, Jim's great grandfather. It was written in either 1906 or 1908, can't tell which, but I'm leaning to 1908.

The post card was addressed to Mrs. C. L. Camp (his sister, Ramath) in Atlanta. On the front side is a picture of James T. and Cora Venable Parker's home in Taylorsville, GA. They are parents of Daisy Victoria Parker Gaines (Granny) and Mary Edna Parker Trippe (Aunt Donna), Dorothy Ann Gaines Howard's grandparents, and Jim's great grandparents. Granny (Daisy) grew up in this house. On the back side is a Christmas/New Year's greeting, along with proof of residence (address) for that year.





In the 1910 US Census the Parkers lived on Stilesboro Road in Taylorsville, Ga. I wanted to see if the house still existed so I went to Google Images. I found a house  that has a similar look with the same porch roof line and an updated modern roof line. The house was built in 1908 according the sales listing. I'm not sure it's the same house. Look at the photos. What do you think? The chimneys look similar.

Front

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's the same house for sure. The chimneys are dead on, and being the only part that would be masonry, it's what is most likely to still be original. Very cool. I think it's interesting that they would have a custom postcard like that so long ago.

    Terry Howard

    (I accidentally deleted Terry's comment made on November 9, 2011 10:59 PM). KJH

    ReplyDelete